It's that time of the year again when everyone and their brother is coming out with their "Best of 2008" lists and I thought, why not jump on the bandwagon? I did it last year, might as well do it again. Plus, I have TONS of stuff I love this year. Despite the recession, which I am not participating in by the way, I managed to score myself some of these fancy items.
1. Plaid! Oh my, how I love plaid. I know you're all thinking "Alison moved to Seattle and now she's in love with plaid." Well, I've always loved the Grunge era, I think you all know that. Alas, that is not the reason I'm in love with plaid this year. (wo)Men's Wear was all the rage this year and when fashion from the runways trickles down to us normal folk, since we're not going to be wearing crazy pantaloons with top hats and gloves, we wear plaid! J Crew has some great options, in fact that's where I got my shirt. I wear it with everything, jeans, leggings, you name it. You can go anywhere with plaid.
Vest and beer receive an honorable mention but certainly not a best of.
2. lulu! Need I even say it? lululemon pants make you look great, and they feel great! Add to that their wicking, four way stretch and gusset (anti-camel toe) features, you can't go wrong!
3. Chanel Precision exfoliating face wash. Luckily I have good skin so I wash my face with cetaphil and usually buy Dove moisturizer, but sometimes I just buy whatever is on sale cause I'm cheap like that. But, I was noticing that even though I have clear skin it doesn't have that dewy, fresh look that all of my favorite celebs have. So, I went in search of some makeup that would give me a glow. I went to the Chanel counter because I was sure they would have something I could use and I found out it's not make up that gives you that look, it's exfoliator!! Who knew? Not me. So I bought some, it's a little pricey at $45 bucks a pop but it has given me excellent results. Plus, I bought it in February and I still have some now in December. You only use it about once or twice a week. I highly recommend the investment.
4. Favorite new music of the year is MGMT. Lately there have been few bands that I get really excited about listening to their albums but when I wake up in the morning I automatically put this cd on. It's so good. All of their songs are layered and usually have a build up of sorts which I like. It's something to look forward to! They sound very British but they're from Brooklyn. Weird. Anyway, check 'em out.
5. Favorite celeb of the year is most definitely Victoria Beckham.
I try to not use such banal terms as fierce, but Victoria Beckham is effing fierce. In the photo above she's just walking around the Meatpacking District in what look like about 5 1/2 inch heels and a fur stole. Who does that and makes it look normal? I'll tell you who, Victoria Beckham. And that is precisely why I love her. She makes the unreasonable look reasonable. Posh, can I be like you when I grow up? Minus the gross fake boobs, they make you look like a fem bot.
6. Handbag of the year is Louis Vuitton. You know, I really used to dislike Mr. Vuitton but all of a sudden his checkered print really started to grow on me and then it was all I could think about. It was like, I became obsessed with Louis Vuitton and anytime I saw someone with a bag I was very covetous. And you know what God says, Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor. Plus, these bags will last forever and hell they've been around since the late 1800's or early 1900's, they're not going anywhere. So, I saved my money and bought me one. Why not right? You only live once. Now I don't have to mutter "bitch" underneath my breath everytime I see a woman with "my" handbag.
Last years favorite things are still some of my favorite things of this year. Christian Louboutin, Tory Burch and OPI still reign supreme in my household but it would be kind of silly to buy anymore because I wear workout clothes everyday. Hey, I'm not complaining it's quite comfy. Sometimes I do miss dressing up but I will again one day. I still love Amy Winehouse but I don't know how long she's going to be around. Crazy ho smokes crack for breakfast, ewwwww.
There you have it, my best of's for the year 2008! Can't wait to see what 2009 brings!