Saturday, October 6, 2007

Times Like These


Dear Blog,

Gasp! Last night Aaron and I did something, we actually got cute, went out, had some drinks and went to a concert. Lately, we've been traveling so much and working so much that when the weekends roll around we are ready to sit our behinds on the couch and just be with each other and watch movies or America's Next Top Model marathon on VH1, whichever. So, I heard that the Foo Fighters were coming to Charlotte for an impromptu concert and I was like Aaron, dust off your flannel and Vans because we're going fo' sho.

Now, if you know me, you'll know I love music. I mean I LOVE music. People always ask that dumb question like, "if you were stranded on an island and you could only take two items with you what you would take?" Well, obvy, my answer would be: my Christian Louboutins and my cd collection. Duh. Now why my music collection? Whereas many people would say pictures, I would take music because music for me, takes me back to where ever I was in my life when I obsessively listened to an album. The good times and the bad. For example:

4 Non Blondes: First non pop album I ever bought. I remember sitting in my room when I was 12 years old thinking...wow, she just said the f word...should I be listening to this?
Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream": Riding up to Snowshoe with my youthgroup when I was 14 and being in "love" with Gray Currin.
Tori Amos "Little Earthquakes": Awkwardness of middleschool
Any and all Pearl Jam albums: True album love
Modest Mouse and The Killer's first album: Falling in love with my husby

Why am I saying all of this? Because it's my blog and I want to! No, seriously, Dave Grohl is kind of a living rock n' roll icon. He performed with what many people say is the greatest band of our generation...I disagree, PEARL JAM 4 LIFE! boyeeee...and then after Kurt Cobain offed himself, he completely reinvented himself and went from being the long haired stoner slacker drummer dude to the singer/songwriter/lead guitar in the Foo Fighters. The concert was SO UNBELIEVABLY GOOD last night, I couldn't believe it. I mean, I knew they would be great but they far exceeded my expectations. Dave was so funny and just generally looked like he was enjoying himself and laughed and interacted with the audience, it was great. So, if they ever come near you, I highly recommend going to see them. Awesome!!!

P.S. I think my husby and Dave Grohl kind of resemble each other! Yesssss!

P.P.S. On a sad note, this week is one that has been permeated by death. Please take some time to reflect on how lucky we are to be alive and that life is too, too short so take time to live, laugh and love.

xoxo,
Al

17 comments:

Drew said...

umm sad. who died??

i have a funny story about nirvana and awesome middle school days if you ever want to hear it. it involves a science project and the song "Lake of Fire." good times.

Anonymous said...

in second grade i got chased around the playground by a girl and she kissed me. she turned out to be a flannel wearing nirvana lover in 7th grade. she was the first girl that ever kissed me and she kinda freaked me out. those were the days.

BellaFrench said...

that actually sounds like me! it was destiny. i tended to freak people out until i decided to revamp my image and become a cheerleader sophomore year. go big red!

Tony Ritz said...

I bet people hate being stuck behind Aaron at concerts, what with the height and terrible gas.

Drew said...

you were a cheerleader?! get out!!

BellaFrench said...

yes Drew, I was. A darn good one too. Alright, that might be a stretch.

but why is that everyone's reaction??

Anonymous said...

He is such a hottie! Al I love your reflection today, music is that way for me too.

Anonymous said...

yesssssss i so remember your cheerleading days.

BellaFrench said...

chuckle chuckle. i had to something extracurricular okay. otherwise i would have been a total loooooser.
i realize it was bit of an anomaly but Cheri talked to me into it, so there.

Anonymous said...

you are a true anomaly - perky white cheerleader at an "inner city" school listening to pearl jam....

that's right - i called it "inner city"

Anonymous said...

careful Spu...caaaaaareful, there are several A.C Flora grads who read this blog.

But, where do you think I learned my street smarts from? You better be glad you live in NY, otherwise, I might cut a man.

Anonymous said...

careful Spu...caaaaaareful, there are several A.C Flora grads who read this blog.

But, where do you think I learned my street smarts from? You better be glad you live in NY, otherwise, I might cut a man.

Anonymous said...

innnnn east columbia
born and raised
on the playground is where
i spent most of my days
chillin' out maxin'
relaxin' and coolin'
or playin' some b-ball up
there in the school

Anonymous said...

who died?

Anonymous said...

when a coupla guys
who were up to no good
started makin' trouble
in my neighborhood

Paul said...

Aaron for the love of god call me back...... Damn

Anonymous said...

no.